Before we bust out the champagne, cupcakes, and 8-foot inflatable LeSean McCoys for the lawn, remember a few things:
- The players' union has to reform and approve the deal. Now, that's likely, but it's not guaranteed.
- Free agency is about to take place, in about 10 minutes. It's going to be a mess.
- Rookies will need to be signed, also in about 10 minutes. And there are new rules for their contracts. Also likely a mess.
- The salary cap has been lowered. That's going to mean trouble for some teams.
- The Hall of Fame game has already been canceled. Who knows what's going to happen with the rest of the pre-season.
- The teams have to get ready for the full season in 6 weeks. As the WaPo pointed out this morning, the teams that are in particular trouble include those with rookie QBs, those that plan to pick up a lot of free agents, and those that rely heavily on a passing game and timing routes. That's definitely our Eagles on at least that last count, and possibly on the free agent issue too. As Bleeding Green Nation has pointed out more than once, the Eagles front office has at least been making noise about having a big free agency push this year. Guess we'll know soon.