03 February 2009

Super Bowl 43 Recap


"43" because I just can't take the damn Roman numerals any more.

Also, can it ever get better than Super Bowl XL in the Roman numeral category?

I think not.

Steelers v. Cardinals, Sunday, February 1, 2009

In attendance: EVERYONE. Seriously, EVERYONE. And a bunch of kids. And Captain Fogdirog/McLovin. EVERYONE.

Menu: Tex-Mex fiesta, many margaritas, and lots of delish contributions from the party-goers, including Hottie Web Chick's homemade whoopie pies, and some amazing cannoli from Vaccaro's.

Stud of the Game: NOT Santonio Holmes, despite the emergence of the naked pictures (link is NSFW. Or for children. Or for the prudish. Seriously. It's ALL HOLMES. ALL. I didn't need to know that much about him. Although, apparently, once you go black, you never go back. Hmmmm.) James Harrison. That's right. 14 point swing right at the end of the half? That was HUGE. HUGE. HUGER than Santonio Holmes (thanks - I'll be here all week. Try the veal.)

OK, I knew the Steelers would win. The whole time. Really. Even when the Cards staged the major comeback in the 4th quarter and took the lead with just over 2 1/2 minutes left. All Steelers.

I have to confess that we had a large enough group with enough going on that I didn't watch the game that closely. But I swear it was because I KNEW the Steelers would win. Honest! I was wearing my Bus - Last Stop Detroit t-shirt (thanks, previous boss)!

Was it just me, or were the commercials seriously disappointing? Recession, yo!

Springsteen was good, though, other than the fact that he seemed completely out of breath the entire time. Is he a secret chain smoker or something?

And I have to give major props to the Steelers for being the only team to win 6 Super Bowls. Take that, annoying Cowboys fans! (Yes, we're still...STILL...waiting to win our first. Shut up.)

And I leave you with....



2 comments:

rocketman said...

I noticed Springsteen huffing and puffing too...he was running around way too much. He's 59, and ought to act his age. Let the music speak for itself. I thought Tom Petty was much better last year.

As for the game, I'm glad for you that the Steelers won - a little Pennsylvania revenge for that NFC Championship Game. If it couldn't be the Eagles, at least it was your second-favorite team that won the whole thing.

And I totally agree on the 43! I tired of the Roman numerals a few years ago.

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

Seriously, who does The Boss think he is? Mick Jager, who clearly has some sort of pact with the devil so that all his aging takes place only in his face?