28 January 2009

2008 Super Bowl Picks

The Steelers and the Cardinals face off in Super Bowl 43 (or XVIII, since the NFL inexplicably keeps insisting on using Roman numerals). I was so hoping for an all-Keystone state matchup, but it was not to be.

You know how they say that offense wins games, defense wins championships? The Cardinals' D has been playing a lot better during the playoffs than during the regular season, and their O sure is hot. But the Steel Curtain is ranked number 1 or 2 in every single defensive category, and their O has finally shown themselves to be capable of putting up points in the post-season. Assuming Groceries manages to stay ambulatory, although now that I think about it , Byron Leftwich makes a perfectly acceptable substitute, if it comes to that.

I don't think it's going to be a high scoring game, and I do think it will be a close game, but I don't see the 9-7 Cardinals beating the Steelers. No way. I'm picking the Steelers to officially become the championship-winningest franchise in history in just about 4 days from now.

1 comment:

NFL Classifieds said...

Personally I favor the Birds for a history making first ever Super Bowl win. On the other hand, I favor the Steelers for a history making Six Rings.

But in the end, I figure the Steelers to win it, 27 - 17. Or 34 - 17, if things get bad for the Birds.