10 November 2008

2008 Week 10 Recap


Eagles v. Giants, Sunday, November 9, 2008

In attendance: Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom, You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad, Chef Spouse, Shoegal, and a few surprise guests: Steelers Transplant, down from the Burgh again on a whim, and Tall Drink of Water Cousin with his BRAND NEW fiancee (and her sister). Suggestions for a nickname for the new relation are now being taken.

Menu: RIBS baby! That's what I call a birthday dinner. And apple pie a la mode. And LOTS of bourbon. But we'll get to that in a minute.

Stud of the Week: Had to be Hank Baskett. I'm pretty sure it's in the Snark's contract that any Eagle who both runs a sweet fade route in the end zone and hauls in a TD giving us a (temporary) lead over the Giants AND gets engaged to a Playboy bunny all in one week is *automatically* Stud of the Week. Possibly of the Month.

If you'll recall, I predicted that we'd lose to the Giants. But I didn't think we'd lose like that.

Yes, we continued to have problems stopping the run. Then again, I know Sherman tanks that have trouble stopping Brandon Jacobs. And yes, once again, we were unable to get crucial short yardage. Don't get me wrong. Short yardage = give the ball to Westy is not a bad play. I'm just saying that maybe it shouldn't be our ONLY play. Indiginous people in the Amazon rainforest who've never seen TV nor heard of American rules football know that that's our only play in that situation. Maybe having an option #2 wouldn't kill us?

But all that really goes for naught when the zebras hand the other team 14 points. Depressed Fan breaks it all down, but it really comes down to Eli was over the line of scrimmage (7 points there), Brandon Jacobs did fumble the fall before he got in the end zone (another 7 points - and we had come up with it), and a crucial Giants drive was kept alive on 3rd and 1 by a completely BS face mask call on Stewart Bradley. I was so pissed after the TD was awarded when Jacobs clearly fumbled the ball before he was in that I had to stop watching the game. So I took my mint julep out on the deck and enjoyed the lovely evening. Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom was so pissed she was still pissed when she came down to breakfast this morning.

To quote the inimitable Dennis Green: "If you want to crown them, then crown their asses!"



So what were Cowboys and Redskins fans thinking during our game? I would guess that it depends on whether they think the Giants are catchable or not. If the Giants can be caught, they were rooting for us. If they think the Giants have a stranglehold on the NFC East, they were definitely rooting for the Giants. Because the wildcard race is going to be tough this year. While I've been blithely predicting that both slots will go to the NFC East, the number 2 and 3 NFC South teams have managed to amass 6-3 records. 9-7 isn't going to cut it for a wildcard spot in the NFC this year. 10-6 probably won't even cut it. And "strength of schedule" only comes into play once you're even on wins. Forget winning the division: if we don't get it together in a big hurry, we're not even going to be the position to take a wildcard seat. I think Andy thinks so too, otherwise, why did EVERYONE get called into the NovaCare complex today?

I'm so frustrated by this team, I can't write any more about this game, or I'll break my promise to myself and get back into the sauce, so go read EaglesBlitz or Bleeding Green Nation for more commentary.

Sigh.

Around the rest of the NFL...

Broncos over Browns. A much closer game than I'd anticipated, with about a gajillion lead changes, but the Broncos did manage to pull it out in the end. Brady Quinn might not be the second coming of D-Mac, but he might be the second coming of, well, Jay Cutler.

Dolphins over Seahawks. Either there's a flaw in my "the Dolphins only beat good teams" theory, or the Seahawks are actually a good team. Not sure which is more improbable, but I'm guessing my theory is wrong.

Vikings over Packers. Man, if the Vikings could just get themselves a QB, they could dominate the NFC North. Dear Brad Childress: Gus Frerotte is not the answer.

Falcons over Saints. Damn, dude, the Saints are not looking good, they're running out of players, and losing Mike McKenzie is not going to help the situation. Drew Brees may be throwing for 9 million yards a game, but the man could use a little help from the rest of the team! Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug. Amuse yourself by reading Nolachick rip Shockey a new one. Glad to see she's continuing my tradition of, "How is Jeremy Shockey a tool? Let me count the ways..." Shame he actually plays for her team, though. But that Matt Ryan kid looks pretty good. On the other hand, it's not uncommon for rookie players - or head coaches - to start hot and then struggle in their sophomore years as the other teams figure them out.

Titans over Bears. Not exactly a cakewalk, but the Titans remain undefeated. And you just KNOW Peyton Manning is not happy.

Ravens over Texans. Blowout.

Jets over Rams. Another blowout.

Patriots over Bills. As The Slant in today's WaPo says, "Never go in against Bill Belichick when first place in the division is on the line." Why he couldn't have mentioned this BEFORE I picked the Bills to win, I do not know.

Jaguars over Lions. See, I told you a game against the Lions was just the thing to get your season back on track!

Panthers over Raiders. As expected. The score was way closer than I would've predicted, but the outcome was never in doubt.

Colts over Steelers. Damn. The Steelers are still leading AFC North, but not by much. I was really hoping that the Ravens would have nothing to play for when we face them in Baltimore in two weeks.

Chargers over Chiefs. The Chargers barely managed to hang on, batting away a two point conversion attempt for the win (rather than the standard extra point for the tie) right at the end of the game. Why did we all call them to win AFC West again? Of course, even at 4-5, they're only one game out. Think we could manage to get reallocated into one of the West divisions? They seem WAY easier.

So, football fans, speaking of West divisions do I even bother to watch the Cardinals/49ers matchup tonight? In the interests of this blog, I feel like I should. But doesn't it constitute cruel & unusual punishment?


4 comments:

Giants Fan said...

When you're blaming losses on the refs, you know things are going in the wrong direction.

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

@Giants fan - like I said, I expected us to lose. I didn't expect us to lose because of poor officiating (and this isn't the first case a team has lost a game directly because of problems with the officiating this season by far - other teams have been hit worse than we have).

rocketman said...

I think Seattle is a decent team that's been decimated by injuries - so technically, the rule may still apply. We'll find out for sure this weekend when the Dolphins host Raiders.

No matter how we slice it, the Raiders are definitely NOT a good team. Heck, they got Jake Delhomme's Worst Game Ever put in their laps, with 4 INTs, and still couldn't manage more than 6 points.

Elizabeth Weaver Engel, CAE said...

@rocketman - I think Seattle's problem is actually lack of focus due to a coach who announced he was retiring before the start of the season. Bad move, Holmgren.

However, NO ONE would argue that the Raiders are a good team, so this week will be a good test....