05 November 2007

2007 Week 9 Recap

Eagles v. Cowboys, Sunday, November 4, 2007

In attendance: Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom, You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I’m-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad, Steelers Transplant, and Chef Spouse

Menu: lasagna, garlic bread, salad, wine, Ben & Jerry’s

This was the Big Work Weekend on The Money Pit. Man, did we get a lot done! We got insulation up in the kitchen (that had been destroyed by water), put the porch ceiling insulation and the ceiling itself back up (that had been destroyed by water, and thank God because it's starting to get cold, and the the porch ceiling is the underside of the bathroom floor), painted the security iron that the slacker painters we hired blew off, painted the porch ceiling, painted the garage walls, and built the framing for our new garage door, scheduled to be installed later this week.

Why do we need a new garage door? For the past 8+ years, Chef Spouse and I have had a craptacular Saturn SL2. Good basic transportation for city living. But this spring, we had to get a second vehicle. Chef Spouse told me I could get ANY car I wanted. "Any car?” I asked. "Any car,” he assured me. So I got a real cutie that really needs to be parked inside in the winter (soft top and all). Only the crazy people who owned our house before us shrunk the garage door opening so tiny that even a bitty little car like mine couldn’t get in and out. So we had to make some changes, with the assistance of family and friends, without whom we’d have been completely screwed. And they all read this blog. Seriously, people, I cannot thank you enough. As Chef Spouse pointed out earlier this evening, although it took nearly 3 solid days of hard physical labor, we managed to build a really nice hole that’s all ready to receive our new garage door. Good work, people!

Sigh.

Do I really have to write about the game?

Because that was not good work. By anyone.

Ok, to be honest, I did not expect us to win. Really. Check the picks in the previous post. But McNabb giving up the ball during a sack about 10 seconds into the game? Yeah, I knew then and there we were in for a bad night.

How bad? Game highlights: Lito Sheppard was back and had a pick. David Akers hit a 36 yard field goal. West36 and Baskett both had TDs (Baskett’s when it was meaningless). That was it. All of them. Every single highlight. By the Cowboys’ next to the last possession, they’d pulled Tonyboy in favor of Brad Johnson. I think that's an insult. As Madden observed, by the end of the game, there weren’t even enough fans left to generate a decent booing of the team off the field. It was like our guys forgot they were playing this week. Or didn’t care it was Dallas. Or didn’t care about anything at all. I can understand AR being distracted – his druggie kids are being sent to jail – but what’s everyone else’s excuse? Too much Halloween candy? Yeah, You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad still acts like a 10 year old around candy (eating it until he's sick, that is), but y'all are professional athletes! Pull it together!

Between the time change and the aforementioned several days’ worth of hard physical labor, I did not manage to make it through to the end of the game. We TiVoed it, but I haven’t been able to force myself to watch the fourth quarter yet. I never enjoy losing a game, but losing to Dallas? Worst. Feeling. Ever. The NFC East goes through Philly? Yeah, on the express train on its way to Texas. We don't even merit a stop this year. This sucks.

Around the rest of the NFL…

Redskins over Jets. How bad are the Jets this year? So bad that, although they could have gone for the win, they went for the tie, got it, got to receive first in over time, punted rather than going for it, and lost the game. You’re 1-8! What do you have to lose (other than your dignity, which frankly is already in shreds)? Show some balls, Mangini! Jeez!

Falcons over 49ers. Who cares? Oh wow, now they’re *both* 2-6. Big whoop.

Titans over Panthers. No surprise there.

Lions over Broncos. Big time. To the tune of 44-7. I told you I had a hunch. Also, now that he has some receivers to throw to, it seems that Jon Kitna’s not a bad QB.

Bucs over Cardinals. Go Jeff! Your division sucks! You’re probably going to the playoffs! I still hate Coach Chuckie, but I do love me some Jeff Garcia. Let’s hear it for the old guys who have no running backs to rely on. Which is a club of pretty much just Jeff Garcia, but that’s OK.

Bills over Bengals. Can anyone figure out the Bengals this year? Because I sure can’t. They have flashes of brilliance, interspersed with long dry spells of sheer stupidity. Who else does that sound like? Could it be…THE EAGLES? Anyway, I’m glad to hear that Chad Johnson’s OK. That was a scary few minutes.

Saints over Jags. Well, I got one wish this weekend. If I could get that $1 million dollars I asked for, the Eagles’ loss would be forgiven.

Packers over Chiefs. The Pack is chewing up the NFC North, closely pursued by the Lions. You know who else is surprising everyone at 3-5 at this point? The Bears. I’m guessing that neither of us gets to the playoffs this year. At least January will be a low-stress month. And Chef Spouse will feel free to select highly complex recipes for our delectation. So I have that to look forward to.

Vikings over Chargers. Wha…? I hear Adrian Peterson had a good day. I guess so. But *we* beat the Vikings last week. What the hell is going on this year? Is it really the case that there are only two remaining decent teams in the NFL? Speaking of….

Pats over Colts, aka Super Bowl XLI.V. How much do I hate the Pats? I hate them extra super much because they made me root for the Colts and THEY STILL WON. Patriots, my hate for you is big.

Texans over Raiders. Yawn.

Browns over Seahawks. Double yawn. The NFC West sucks. The Seahawks are leading the division at 4-4. Cards are 3-5, 49ers are 2-6, and the Rams would lose in Europe. And the NFL disbanded NFL Europe! And the Rams would still find a way to lose.

Right now, I’m watching the Steelers kill the Ravens on MNF. They say revenge is a dish best served cold. It must be yummy in the freezing rain in Blitzburgh tonight. Gotta love the fact that Heinz Field is packed, even though the weather is beastly. Those are some real football fans. Miami, I’m looking at you.


No comments: