29 October 2007

2007 Week 8 Recap

Eagles at Vikings, Sunday, October 28, 2007

In attendance: just me & Chef Spouse. Which was OK, because we were totally beat from working on The Money Pit.

Menu: Italian snackies, Longview Devil's Elbow CabSauv, and pasta with homemade tomato and sausage sauce. YUM!

So we’re watching the game, and it was pretty low-key (see above re: being exhausted from working on the house), and we get to the fourth quarter, and we’re only up by one possession, and I say to Chef Spouse: "We’re totally going to lose this game.” How sorry is that? I’ve become convinced that if we’re not up by, like, 40 points by the fourth quarter, we’re going to lose. That is not good.

Not that the win wasn’t good. It was. And the Vikings are out of it now. But, before we get all cocky, remember that we’re at the bottom of the NFC East, and, no matter what happens in the rest of our season (or their season, for that matter), we may not be able to catch the Cowboys. Of course, we’ve already played – and lost to – the teams that are surprisingly good this year (Packers, Lions). But there are some serious hurdles awaiting us: Cowboys. Patriots. Dolphins (sike! That’s one game we’re pretty much guaranteed to win.). But we haven’t beat a good team yet. The Lions aren’t bad this year, but the Jets are awful. And the only other team we’ve beat is the Vikings. That is not good. A continuing theme this week. Sure, we could get to .500 next week against the Cowboys, but I’ll be really surprised if that happens. Yeah, I’m feeling the 3-4 blues. Which would actually be really weird, because the blues just doesn’t work in 3/4 time.

Around the rest of the NFL…

Patriots/Redskins: One word: Bullies. One more word: Classless.

Saints/49ers: The return of Alex Smith proves ineffective in solving the 49ers total-lack-of-offense problem. Also, the Saints are looking a LOT better.

Texans/Chargers: Speaking of looking better, boy, was I wrong about this one. So wrong. Really wrong. Guess it’s actually easier to concentrate on the game when you don’t have to worry about someone stealing your 52” flat screen because IT MELTED.

Jags/Bucs: This is the game I switched to when I literally could not take the Skins game one more second because it was hurting my eyes. And the Bucs had at least two shots to win the game in the last quarter. I don’t mean two potential passes – I mean two drives once it was 24-23, and they just couldn’t put it away. Could that be because they have literally NO running backs? Maybe….

Bills/Jets: How surprising is the Jets collapse? Pretty damn surprising, I think. Also, the AFC East is so bad, they should be demoted to an NFC division.

Raiders/Titans: You know what was surprising about this game? The Titans only won by 4. I think they basically treated it as an extra bye week. I’m not positive, but I think they may have had MGD in the coolers rather than Gatorade. I’m pretty sure I saw them doing shots on the sideline right before halftime.

Steelers/Bengals: And the Steelers return to their below-the-radar winning ways. I don’t know if they’ll be able to take out the Colts and Pats, but they’re definitely repping the AFC North in the playoffs this year.

Lions/Bears: Perfect beat loop! How awesome is that?

Giants/Dolphins: Dear Brits: I am SOOOO sorry you had to watch the Dolphins. Really, American football is usually so much better than that. I swear. Also, maybe the Giants aren’t quite as good as they looked against, um, us, if they could only beat the sad-sack Fins by 3. PS: want to scare D-Mac to death? Show up on his doorstep Wednesday night dressed as Osi Umenyiora. You could pull the same trick on Jason Campbell with a Mike Vrabel costume if you happen to be in DC.

Browns/Rams: How bad are the Rams? The Rams are so bad…well, they’re really bad. They’re so bad, they made the Browns look like they might have some D. They’re so bad, they make the Raiders look pretty good. They’re so bad, I’m pretty sure West36’s alma mater could beat them. No, I don’t mean Villanova. I mean DeMatha.

Colts/Panthers: Have you seen the Priceless Pep Talks series? Those things are hilarious! You should definitely send one to someone right now. I realize I’m going to have to break my "no commenting on the Colts” rule next week, because I’ll spontaneously combust if I try to not remark on the Pats/Colts game. I’ll call it now: Colts. I think they’re the better team. They’ve certainly had the tougher schedule.

Packers/Broncos: I’m still calling Packers, even though I remain steadfast in my hate for Vicodin Boy (enhanced by the ridiculous ass-kissing pre-game profile). And Steely McGeek just showed up with hoagies! Gotta love a friend who’s regularly in the Philly area and brings treats!


No comments: