27 November 2006

2006 Week 12 Recap

Eagles at Colts, Sunday, November 26, 2006

In attendance: Just me & Chef Spouse. We just barely made it home from Thanksgiving with Chef Spouse's family and a bridal shower for my high school bud Philly RN in time for the start of the game. Philly RN? Had they not moved the game to SNF, want to guess the chances I would've been at the shower? Take my advice - go with "zero."

Menu: take-out pulled pork BBQ and Yuengling.

OH MY GOD, WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR DEFENSE?

All joking aside from my picks - and believe me, you should feel free to point out that I punked myself - I figured us to lose this game when the schedules came out in the pre-season. But, seriously, what is wrong with our D?

OK, QB controversy, sure. Garcia's not exactly a young man, and you have to wonder how much gas is left in his tank. And AJ has a history with us - he carried us into the playoffs when D-Mac went down with the broken ankle in 2002. But the difference between this year and 2002 is that all AJ had to do was manage to not lose the games, and trust our defense to win them for us. This year? Not so much. Also, guys, when you blow tackles on, like, 100 plays in a row, you might want to tone down the celebration the one time you take the guy down behind the line of scrimmage.

On the positive side, we've located our running game (it was in Andy's attic, accidentally packed in with the Christmas decorations), and we managed to put up 21 points (which would've been 24 if not for a terrible snap). And our guys didn't give up. And this is a game that we would've been unlikely to win even with a healthy Donovan. So I don't think all is lost for the rest of the season. But I also don't think that the NFC East will provide both the NFC wild card teams, either. Oh well, there's always next year...

Around the rest of the NFL...

Thanksgiving Games:

The Dolphins, dressed all in white (because fugly is the new pretty), beat the Lions. The really surprising part of that game was seeing Marcus Vick on the sidelines. I'm still stunned that anyone signed him. I know the NFL tends to turn bit of a blind eye to felony convictions among players, but this guy's a rookie! How does he rate a pass? Note: you know the commentators have run out of stuff to say when they start waxing poetic about Jon Kitna and Joey Harrington.

The Cowboys beat the Bucs - well, duh. Oh, and Tony? Jessica Simpson's a moron. Aim a little higher. Maybe get yourself a nice pet rock with implants, a fake bake, and a bad dye job. At least it won't come with a creepy Svengali father. And? The Tuna cut Mike "Punk" Vanderjagt. I may never stop laughing...

The Chiefs upset the Broncos, Jake Plummer lost the starting job to Jay Cutler, and there are rumors circulating that we might try to sign Plummer next year. Obviously, our front office isn't paying attention. We need to pick up Drew Bledsoe, so we can get all the QBs who've had catfights with TO. Collect the whole set! Also, I missed the one game worth watching on Thanksgiving. But at least I got to see White Christmas, a true holiday classic. Rosemary Clooney's costumes are tha bomb-diggity.

Sunday games:

I must confess, seeing as I was at Philly RN's bridal shower and then driving home, the only game I actually saw was ours. Thanks to our friend Cool Contractor Dude, we had the use of a FY-UNE ride (rather that Harold the Hoopty, our craptastic 1997 Saturn), which featured, among many other amazing gizmos, Sirius radio. So we were able to listen to parts of the Bears/Pats and Giants/Titans games. But I didn't see any of them. So here's my unusually uninformed commentary:

OK, first of all, the Pats didn't really win the game with the Bears. They just managed not to lose. Barely. I lost count of the turnovers at around, oh, a billion. What was that all about?

The Vikings continue to be OK. Which was more than enough to beat the Cardinals, who continue to be terrible. Dennis Green is rumored to be entering scream therapy.

The Skins shocked the hell out of everyone by pulling off the upset of the Panthers. So that was this week's upset game! Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom was the only one who guessed right. Also, one has to wonder why Old Joe and Danny Boy didn't give Jason Campbell a try out before this. Kid looks pretty decent, which is a lot better than what they've had at QB in recent memory.

Did I mention that Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom was the only one who picked the right upset game? Yeah, my pick of the Browns was, um, pretty damn wrong. The Bengals managed to pull together enough defense to thoroughly spank them.

Jets beat the Texans. Whatever.

You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad was the only one who called the Bills to beat the Jaguars, but as I've been so fond of pointing out, they're so schizo anything could happen from week to week. So he can't win the "Called the Upset Win" title. Once you lose to the Texans, anything's possible.

Drew Brees had another amazing game, even without Marques Colston. In other news, Mike Vick's almost as big a punk as his brother. Nice double bird there, Mike. What a classy guy.

Do you want to call it or shall I? OK, I'll call it: time of death, 3:58 pm, Sunday, November 26. Somebody haul the carcass of the Steelers season to the morgue, huh? And after 9 sacks, grab a cart for Roethlistberger while you're at it.

I don't know what we were all thinking calling the 49ers to win. Big crash after the huge sugar rush from all the pie wore off? Good call on the Rams, Chef Spouse.

The Chargers pulled out another late-game win. Mostly because they would've been too humiliated to go home had they lost to the Raiders.

By the way, I was the ONLY one to call the Titans beating the Giants. Who blew a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter. Sound vaguely familiar? Payback's a ****. Also, as Chef Spouse pointed out, we've just witnessed the first game lost to the stupid roughing the passer rules. Kiwanuka let Vince Young go, sure, but if you can't tell if the QB has released the ball, you have to let him go or face a major penalty. Yes, we need to protect QBs - major injuries to McNabb in 3 of the last 5 seasons - but this is getting ridiculous.

And when I first turned on the Packers/Seahawks game, I was sure they must be playing in Green Bay, although it did seem a little early for such a major snowstorm. Imagine my surprise to see all those Seahawks fans in the stands! It looks like they're playing in a snow globe in the hands of a hyper 3 year old.

So how did we all turn out? Barring the results of the MNF game (where we all but You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad picked the Seahawks), Chef Spouse leads at 9-3. Life-Long Eagles Fan Mom came in second, at .500. I'm just below .500 at 5-7 (although I did call 2 of the 3 Thanksgiving games right, which does help my average, but I can't count them since no one else had the chance to weigh in - yes, I'm just trying to make myself feel better). And You-Two-Calm-Down-or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad brings up the rear at 3-9. Well played, fam, well played.


No comments: