03 October 2006

2006 Week 4 Recap

Eagles v. Packers, Monday, October 2, 2006

In attendance: Only Chef Spouse (I try to discourage a MNF crowd - I tend to watch the game in my pjs).

Menu: Duck. Tasty, tasty duck. MMMmmmm...

Highlights of the first half...

Ummm...

Well there was that...no.

Uhhh...

And then the...

Mmm...not so much.

Oooo! McNabb TD!

Unh...and then the...

Yeah, that wasn't good.

Ugh...are we gonna lose to the Packers?

THE PACKERS?

Brett Favre has never won in Philly!

Y'all planning to screw that up?

Yikes.

Is it just that we can't play 4 quarters of good football all in one game? At least now we've silenced the "can't come from behind" naysayers. Of course, we were only down 9 to 7.

Life Long Eagles Fan Mom and You-Two-Calm-Down-Or-I'm-Turning-Off-the-TV Dad went to bed at the half, and who could blame them? It looked like we were going to get killed.

And then, the sweet siren sound of momentum change. I swear, the hurry up offense really seems to suit us. I hear "The West Coast offense is about timing and rhythm" all the time, and I've never played football, so I don't really know what that means, but no huddle really seems to get things going for us. Downside? Makes it hard to burn the clock.

Anyway, it was refreshing to see D-Mac decide to put the game on his own shoulders and carry it through. "Well, if my receivers can't catch and my tailbacks can't hang on to the ball, I'll just do it my own damn self!"

Mike McCarthy has apparently been working on some of Favre's weak spots. Dude, you can't throw the long ball accurately anymore. So retire or cut that out. But McCarthy's tutorials only go so far. So if you hang in with Brett Favre long enough and he gets behind, he's going to start throwing some jump balls that even our depleted secondary can come down with.

Ramsey INT: Can't. Make. The. Turn. Beep-beep-beep-beep-beep. Did anyone else flash on a garbage truck trying a three-point turn in the alley behind your house? Only me? OK.

And then it was ON, baby. No huddle just works for us. McNabb has more freedom to call the plays and run with the ball - you know, whatever works. And the Pack were looking TIRED, man.

It seriously all went downhill for the Pack after that. Yes, Chef Spouse, it should have been 41-9, as we left points on the field with fumbles and odd trick plays, but it just got painful to watch. Two TD strikes to Greg Lewis in, like, a minute. And then D-Mac nailed the coffin shut himself with another TD to bookend the night. To finish it off, our scrub D kept the Pack out of the end zone on their final drive. Humiliating.

Chef Spouse: "You're so quiet tonight!" Me: "I'm saving all my crazy for next week."

So here's the interesting thing: in post-game interviews, many other QBs (Favre included - who left the field before the game was even officially over, unlike McNabb, who spoke to many of the Packers after the game) blame everyone but themselves for losses. McNabb post-game from Monday night? To paraphrase, "If I want to speak honestly about the game, I have to place blame for the first half where it belongs - all of us needed to step it up, including me." He is the class of the NFC, if not the entire NFL. Who wants Ricky Williams now, ****?

Around the rest of the NFL...

Thank God I got the important game right, because I was basically completely wrong about everything else. Good thing I do this for love rather than for money. (Not really - I'd give my right arm to be a sports writer. Ah well.) Games that I thought would be close were blowouts. Games that I thought would be blowouts were close. Teams I thought would win lost, and vice versa. Life Long Eagles Fan Mom is right - week 4 is way too soon to count any team out. Except the Raiders and the Dolphins. Sure, there might be 15 slower QBs in the league, Culpepper, but the difference between you and them is that some of them can actually complete a pass occasionally. Dude, what the hell is wrong with you? You lost to the Texans. The TEXANS, man. Oh, the shame.

The Saints lost to the Panthers, who have their act back together. I wouldn't be sad to see the Saints at the NFC Championship game, but realistically, I think we'll be seeing Chicago there. Rex Grossman is having one hell of a year so far. Last year, the Bears got deep into the playoffs on D alone. This year, they have O. As the Seahawks discovered. Bears are the real deal, peeps.

Vikings dropped one to the Bills, and both teams are OK this year. OK being damning with faint praise in the NFL. The Ravens/Chargers game was a rocker, with the Ravens winning it in the last seconds. But it wasn't as exciting as the end of the Colts/Jets game. Dude, that 8-lateral play was THA BOMB. Too bad it didn't work. And it was almost as exciting as the Redskins win over the Jags in OT, with Brunell's sweet pass to Santana Moss for the TD. Hope they get that winning thing out of their systems before November 12.

The other big surprise was the Pats beating the Bengals. Hunh.

And then a lot of "who cares?" Cowboys over Titans - big shock. Falcons over Cards. Yawn. Chiefs over 49ers. Did the 49ers even take the field? That was embarrassing. Rams over Lions. Whatever. The Browns/Raiders game was actually surprisingly close. That does not bode well for the Browns.

And next week? Well, Tony Kornheiser can actually talk about nothing but T.O. for three solid hours without it being completely beside the point. I'm going to have to deliver the smackdown to every single MNF commentator shortly, or my head may just explode. It's so bad I miss Madden. Oy.


No comments: