28 August 2006

Stallworth a-go-go

This one came out of left field for me, which just goes to show why I'm not a pro football head coach.

I don't think I posted about this, but the Deion Branch rumor just never worked for me. We just got rid of a prima dona with attitude problems. I think the pain is still too recent for AR to want to go back that particular poisoned well. But without Pinkston - who I think is probably going to be cut - we just didn't have a Speedy McReceiver who could get down the field fast enough to catch the really long bombs we all know D-Mac is capable of.

So a little about Stallworth: he's 25 years old with 5 years' experience. As a Saint last year, he managed to haul in 70 receptions for 945 yards and 7 touchdowns. While playing for a team in complete physical and emotional disarray. In 2002 and 2003, he spent some time on IR with left leg muscle injuries - quad and ham. But he's been healthy since. Check out his total career stats here.

I haven't watched a huge amount of Saints games, so I don't have much of an impression of him as a player yet. I am concerned that he doesn't have a huge amoung of time to learn our offense. The Saints are running a West Coast offense now, but Stallworth's experience with it has been training camp this year.

We're losing Mark Simoneau, who had a great year with us his first year in the 2003 season and has been up and down since then. And we've had plenty of linebackers running around training camp, including Trott and Shawn Barber.

All in all, call it cautiously hopeful.

In other NFL news, it's been fun to watch the Packers get creamed by the Bengals and to see Carson Palmer back on the gridiron after what sure as hell looked like a career ender last year. I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to start beating the "You Need to Retire Now Vicodin Boy" drum again already, before the season even officially starts - this is AWESOME! Was it wrong of me to laugh when Favre threw two picks within the first five minutes of the game?

Chef Spouse tells me the game's been halted and may possibly not be finished on account of a huge lightning storm. And God said: "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven. Brett Favre, it is time for you to get your burned-out a** OFF the FIELD, that it may be pleasing in My sight. DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE."

And the rumors about Ben Roethlisberger? Well, he didn't seem on Friday night for sure. Could be the once-again busted up thumb, but the concussion-vagueness theory works for me, too. Forgetfulness in a QB seems like a problem: "Hey guys - what down is this again?"


No comments: