31 October 2005

2005 Week 8 Recap

Week 8: Eagles at Broncos, Sunday, October 30, 2005

Oh my. It took me 4 days to get over the hangover that resulted from Sunday. No, I don't mean the psychic hangover, I mean the bourbon hangover. No, I'm just kidding. I was over the bourbon hangover by Monday afternoon.

OK, so someone needs to mention this to the team: Guys, the game of football consists of four 15 minute quarters. See, that's why they're cleverly called QUARTERS. Because there are FOUR of them. See that? FOUR...QUARTERS. Also, that first 30 minutes? That's actually the GAME, not just more warm up. Those guys in the different colored jerseys? NOT the practice squad. That's the actual OTHER TEAM. That you're supposed to try to beat.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Never thought I'd say this, but I really miss Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell. I knew I'd be missing Dorsey Levens, just not this much. And Ike Reese? And Hugh Douglas? Damn. Of course, by now we all know that TO's out for a few weeks, so we're, not to put too fine a point on it, screwed - Akers is hurt, D-Mac is hurt and still playing, which week by week seems like more and more of a mistake, TO's now hurt, and apparently every single team in the NFL has AR's number.

Since the football was so bad on Sunday, let me do a menu review of what we ate. Being the first cool weekend of the fall, Chef Spouse and I were both in a cooking mood. On Saturday, Chef Spouse made a batch of veal stock and I made two loaves of honey whole wheat bread. We also made some vanilla ice cream. Sunday morning I made chocolate chip cream scones (to use up the extra heavy cream from the ice cream) and two apple pies (one with Winesaps and one with Courtlands) and then the lunch cookery started. Chef Spouse started us with a nice plate of chopped raw veggies. Then I browned up some brats and poached them in stout. Meanwhile, I chopped up some bacon and browned it, then cooked some chopped apples in the bacon fat and added some sauerkraut. Once everything was ready, I drained off the excess beer, then put the sauerkraut and brats in together. So they made a nice meal with the whole wheat bread. Then we had apple pie with vanilla ice cream and homemade bourbon sauce. Delicious. Almost good enough to make us forget the TRULY HORRIBLE game. Aw man, I almost got past it!

Our shellacking was slightly less painful than what the Redskins suffered at the hands of the Giants. At least we didn't get shut out. Ouch. The Giants are looking like the contender for NFC East. And we're playing the 'Skins on Sunday night. Talk about the battle of pee-wees! I'm starting to feel bad about making fun of the Packers and the Vikings all season. OK - not really.

So what else happened? Oy vey, I'm not even sure. OK, one of the NFC North teams is now above .500. The Bears. Who would've thought? A few other surprises: the 49ers beat the Bucs. The 49ers beating anyone is pretty surprising, particularly the previously 5-1 Bucs. And the Texans won a game - although I'm still not sure they're an actual team. And New England actually won by 5 rather than 3. And the Steelers barely snuck by the Ravens on Monday night - I expected the Steelers to KILL the Ravens. What happened there?

So we're going to the Eagles/'Skins game Sunday, thanks to Spouse's employer and the Fed Ex Field wireless network. We have car service, club level tickets, and entry to the after party. And it's going to be in the 70s in DC Sunday. So I'll wear my D-Mac jersey and have a good time no matter what happens. I just have to keep telling myself that since there are definitely no more guaranteed wins this year.


No comments: